Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Art of Intelligence: Lessons from a Life in the CIA’s Clandestine Service by Henry A. Crumpton

Title: The Art of Intelligence Lessons from a Life in the CIA’s Clandestine Service

Author: by Henry A. Crumpton
Read by: David Colacci
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Length: Approximately 13 hours (11 CDs)
Source: Penguin Audio Review Copy – Thank-you!

When I received The Art of Intelligence: Lessons from a Life in the CIA’s Clandestine Service, I was intrigued and couldn’t wait to find out about the secret missions of a CIA agent. Unfortunately, this audiobook fell flat for me and I did not finish it. I almost fell asleep before half of the first CD was over, and totally gave up 1.5 CDs into the book. I like non-fiction, but I found this book to be incredibly dry. The narrator, David Colacci, did not help. I thought the reading was rather tedious without much inflection. It was hard for me to pay attention and remain interested while I was driving.

There was also not much action in the parts I listened too. Crumpton gave a brief history of the CIA particularly in the age of 9/11 to present. I thought this part was interesting as it gave a rundown of basically how it is hard to work with different political parties and do what is best for the country. And it was parties, not just one or the other. Crumpton also discussed becoming an ambassador and how he first started out working for the CIA. Missing was any action to keep me interested. I think this book would have worked before for me as a regular book to read and not an audiobook. For an audiobook, I need a good plot to keep me interested on my way to and from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment