Thursday, June 18, 2015

Lady Maybe by Julie Klassen



I was pleasantly surprised to receive a proof of Lady Maybe in the mail after vastly enjoying The Secret of Pembrooke Park.  I was going to read this on my flight to Florida, but instead couldn’t stop reading it and finished it before our journey.

Lady Marianna Mayfield is being kidnapped by her husband, Sir John, and taken to an unknown location with none of their current servants.  Sir John is hoping to separate her from her lover Anthony Fontaine.  Lady Marianna is desperate, and is overjoyed when her former companion, Hannah Rogers shows up to receive her past wages due to her after her abrupt departure months before.  She makes Hannah an offer she can’t refuse and they are soon off to their unknown destination.  After a horrifying carriage accident, one of the three is lost at sea, and the two survivors are left with no memory and serious injuries.  I don’t want to describe the plot any further as there were a lot of interesting surprises that I don’t want to ruin for other readers!

Lady Maybe had many shades of Jane Eyre in it, which I really enjoyed.  I also loved the setting, the regency era England of Jane Austen’s time.  Julie Klassen has a wonderfully engaging style of writing that really draws the reader in.  The story is suspenseful and keeps someone like myself reading far too late in the night to solve the mystery.  The characters are also intriguing as well.  I loved the main characters, but the secondary characters were interesting as well.  I also loved that the novel had a great love triangle and a very satisfying ending.

Another point that I enjoyed is that one of the characters lies often, but by the end of the novel, she has asked for forgiveness from those that she has wronged as well as God.  I really enjoyed the compassion that this character had for others as well as her growth as a person throughout the novel.

Overall, Lady Maybe was a book that you won’t want to put down with a fantastic romantic suspense storyline and great characters.  Julie Klassen is a wonderful writer and I can’t wait to read more of her books!

Book Source:  Review Copy from Author Julie Klassen – Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting, Laura. I hadn't heard of this book before. I am now tempted to to find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be released for publication on July 7th! I just discovered this author this spring and she is one of my new favorite authors. I can't wait to read all of the rest of her novels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luvd it as well and appreciate your review, Laura - well done!
    and kudos to Julie for an exceptional story!

    ReplyDelete