Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Little Women (2018)


I have loved Little Women since I was a child.  I used to watch a cartoon version that I realized when I became an adult was a Japanese Anime version.  I also watched every movie version that existed and read the book numerous times.  I love Little Women and Louisa May Alcott.

I was excited to be able to preview the new movie, Little Women, that will be in theatres this Friday.  It stars Lea Thompson from Back to the Future as Marmee and sets the iconic story in modern times.

I’ll admit that I have not only read a modern take on Little Women in the past but have also watched another modern movie take on Little Women. Both ventures failed as they missed the essences for what makes Little Women a great story.  I’m happy to report that I really enjoyed this new version of Little Women.  It did a fantastic job of modernizing the story.  The March Patriarch is away in the military to explain his absence and Marmee is still a wonderful mother who cares for the downtrodden.  The girls have their personalities intact and updated slightly for modern times.

What I loved the most was that the set-up of this movie solved one of the essential woes I’ve always had with Little Women – you love Laurie and want him together with Jo only to have Professor Bauer appear out of left field at the end of the novel or movie.  In this 2018 production, Professor Bauer is introduced before Laurie and it works wonderfully.  Jo is an aspiring author of fantasy fiction and Professor Bauer is trying to help her out with her writing while their relationship develops.  Flashbacks tell the story of the March family as Jo was growing up and Laurie is introduced at this time. He had more of a dorky brother vibe while Professor “Freddy” Bauer was obviously more the love interest.  I LOVED this set up.

This is a Christian movie and I was glad to see that the March sisters weren’t made into “slut sisters” as I’ve seen in other modern takes.  I watched this with my ten-year-old son and seven-year-old daughter.  There is alcohol consumed at a party and some bad behavior, but my kids realized it was bad behavior.  It was in keeping with the original novel as Meg was from a temperance family and does drink at a party.

Overall, this 2018 version of Little Women does an excellent job updating the story to modern times, while keeping true to the original characters.  I highly recommend it!

More information about Little Women:

In theaters this fall, LITTLE WOMEN—starring Lea Thompson (BACK TO THE FUTURE) —brings the same sisters to a new generation to celebrate dreams, family and unconditional love.

LITTLE WOMEN also stars Sarah Davenport as "Jo," Melanie Stone as "Meg," Taylor Murphy as "Amy," Allie Jennings as "Beth," Ian Bohen (Teen Wolf) as "Freddy," Lucas Grabeel (High School Musical, "Family Guy") as "Laurie," and Bart Johnson (High School Musical) as "Papa March."

Official website: www.littlewomenthemovie.com.
All-new trailer: https://www.facebook.com/littlewomenfilm/
Facebook/Instagram: @LittleWomenFilm
Twitter: @LittleWomenFilm
 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so wonderful, Laura. I've long loved the story of Little Women and this version sounds very appealing to me. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks like a fun modern version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that this version of Little Women doesn't disappoint. It's one I definitely want to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you! I can't wait to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete