Thursday, July 8, 2021

A Lowcountry Bride by Preslaysa Williams


What is the last five-star review book that you read?

 Mine was A Lowcountry Bride by Preslaysa Williams.  I just read this book on my vacation last week and I LOVED it.

 Maya Jackson dreams of having her unique wedding gowns showcased by Laura Whitcomb, Inc., the premier wedding gown designer that she works for.  She has a chance to move up in the company with a new unique design, but first she has to return to Charleston, South Carolina to help her father after a fall fractured his hip.  Laura Whitcomb will not pay her while she’s back in South Carolina, so Maya takes a job at a local bridal boutique.

 Derek Sullivan is back from the military and the owner of Always a Bride.  It was his mother’s dream and legacy, and he is struggling to keep it from bankruptcy.  He and his daughter are still struggling over the loss of his wife in the Emanual AME mass shooting.  He can’t connect with his daughter.  When Maya Jackson enters his store with her unique dress designs, looking to sell her gowns, and later to work at the store, Derek feels like his prayers have been answered. 

 Will Maya be able to realize her dreams to become a famous bridal gown designer?  Will Derek be able to save the dress shop and connect with his daughter?  Will they be able to find love?

 I LOVED this novel and read it quickly.  I loved Maya Jackson as the heroine.  She is an independent woman who struggles with finding love for herself as she suffers from sickle cell anemia and will only live for ten to fifteen years.  She decides to put everything into her dress designs to become the success in New York City that her mother always dreamed of.  I loved Maya’s journey through the novel.  She has to realize what is best for her.  What does she really want?  I love that both her father and Derek support her and her ability to make these decisions for herself.  They don’t want to change her.  I loved that. 

 I also loved to read about Maya’s designs.  I would love to see them for real.  I love that her inspirations were from her Afro-Filipina heritage.  Her heritage was discussed throughout the novel, and I was intrigued by it.  Her special Filipina stitching learning from her mother sounded fascinating. 

 I also enjoyed that this was a clean read.  There is definitely romance and love, but it does not get into any bedroom scenes.  Church is also identified as being very important to many of the characters. I really like it.

 Overall, A Lowcountry Bride is a perfect read with a great heroine and sweet romance.  The novel had wonderful characters and plot. I greatly enjoyed it.

 Book Source:  Review Copy from William Morrow.  Thank-you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a review on a book which sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete