Wednesday, June 28, 2023

The Game She Plays by Siena Sterling (Bibliolifestyle Book Tour)


Thank you, Partner @bibliolifestyle @williammorrowbooks for the review copy of The Game She Plays by Siena Sterling.

Do you have a group of high school or college friends that you still get together with?  It definitely gets harder as the years go by!

In The Game She Plays by Siena Sterling, American Nicola has just had a whirlwind romance with Englishman James.  They are both invited for a weekend of shooting at the fabulous estate of James friends from Cambridge.  Nicola is starting to get to know everyone and finally feel welcomed when the mysterious Juliet arrives from Hong Kong.  Juliet was James college girlfriend.  She is beautiful, witty, and the life of the party.  She acts like she cares about everyone and just wants to help them out. Nicola struggles to feel a part of the crowd with Juliet around.  She starts to suspect that Juliet may not be all that she seems to be.  Is Nicola imagining things or is there a devious plot at play?

I enjoyed this character drive novel, and it was the perfect read for a weekend away.  I would call this a slow-burn suspense novel. It hooked me right away and I kept making theories about what I thought would happen. There was a lot of action at the end of the book. I thought I had this figured out, but I was a bit surprised by the ending overall and it definitely made me want to read a second book. 

I kept feeling Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier type vibes as I read this novel.  I was excited when Rebecca was referenced with Juliet as the Rebecca type person.  I loved it!

I thought it was interesting that this book was set in 1980.  I liked that is was in the not so distant past and I liked the look at the English upper crust of that era.  It was hard to fit in when you didn’t know the rules.  I liked how while Nicola was from America, another girlfriend of a friend, Bella, was from the north and also didn’t understand the unwritten rules.

This book was published on June 6, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment