Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The King's Daughter: A Novel of the First Tudor Queen by Sandra Worth

The King's Daughter by Sandra Worth is a historical fiction novel about the life of Queen Elizabeth of York, the mother of Henry VIII, wife of Henry VII, and daughter of Edward IV. After reading The Lady of Roses also by Sandra Worth, I was eager to read more of her novels. The library didn't have any others, but luckily my husband got me The King's Daughter for Christmas.


Overall the book was an interesting read, but not as good as The Lady of the Roses. I really liked learning more about Elizabeth of York and her life through an intriguing period of English history. I can't imagine living in a world where most of your loved ones were brutality killed or died of disease or some other afflication. Elizabeth tried to lead a good life, but suffered many trying times.

I had problems with the book mainly as there was no central love story as there was in The Lady of the Roses. Elizabeth has a love for a knight, Sir Thomas Stafford that could have been and intriguing story of love lost, but instead the focus switches to a contrived love story between Elizabeth and her Uncle Richard III. EWWW! She is forced to marry Henry VII for the peace of her country. She stands back and lets her mother in law walk all over her and lets Henry VII murder a lot of people in her family for the sake of letting her son Arthur inherit the thrown without other claimants. I just wanted to shake her and say "Do Something!!!"

Some moments that I did enjoy were when Henry and Elizabeth had light hearted moments laughing at their mothers. I wish this would have continued and allowed for a love to develop between the two.

In the end, it was a good read and made me really want to read the Rose of York trilogy to learn more about Richard III as a good guy.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my degree in history and love both biographies and works of fiction especially those set in the 15th and 16th century England and dealing with the Royals. If I remember correctly, it was the marriage of Eliz. of York and Henry VII that ultimately lead to the end of the War of the Roses. I've never heard of this author before, so thanks for the info. Is this the second book in the Rose trilogoy? Or, rather, where should I start and what are the titles of all three? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made sure only one comment is shown! I think it was my comment administrator set-up that was messing with you. I've updated it so hopefully it works better now. The King Richard Trilogy starts with The Rose of York: Love and War by Sandra Worth. I haven't read the trilogy yet as my library doesn't have them and I'm waiting for my husband to hopefully get them for me for my birthday in March! :-) I did read The Lady of the Roses, which I really enjoyed. The Lady of the Roses and The King's Daughter are stand alone books that you can read without reading the trilogy. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "The Lady of the Roses" and loved it. I have this on coming up soon. I can't this year, but next year I want to get her remaining books.

    ReplyDelete