Monday, July 2, 2007

Eragon

Ben and I watched Eragon over the weekend. It should have been our kind of movie - dragics, magic, a young hero on a quest against evil, but it fell flat. The movie seemed very choppy (it's raining, it's not raining two seconds later, it's night, it's daylight two seconds later) with many plot points left unexplained. The movie wasn't terrible, but it could have been much better.

I have not read the book, but the movie got me interested enough to want to read it. I've only heard good things about the book and feel that the book probably could fill in many of the gaps that the movie left.

Overall, the movie told the tail of Eragon, a young farm boy that is swept into adventure when he finds a blue "stone" in the woods that ends up really being a dragon's egg. The dragon Saphira hatches and Eragon raises her (in the movie the dragon magically becomes full grown, but I've read this is given much more explanation in the book) with help from Brom (Jeremy Irons), a former dragon rider. The dragon riders once protected the kingdom before they were all betrayed and killed by the evil king. Brom and Eragon travel to meet the Varden, who I believe are renegades fighting against the King who need Eragon's help to defeat him. There is a battle, a damsel in distress, and a journey from headstrong youth to wise warrior. Kind of sounds like Star Wars!

The movie was worth watching, but definitely was not the best I've seen. I still want to read the book however!

No comments:

Post a Comment