Tuesday, June 23, 2020

At the Altar: Matrimonial Tales by L.M. Montgomery


Back in the 1990’s as a teen, I would save up my money and always be on the lookout at B. Dalton for any “new” books by L.M. Montgomery (author of Anne of Green Gables).  I had all her novels, but collections of her short stories kept appearing.  I devoured them all.  Montgomery’s short stories are like the snippets about different characters that are found in her full-length novels.

At the Altar was comfort reading perfect for a global pandemic.  It was chosen as the May pick for the Facebook L.M. Montgomery book club.  I had not read it since I was a teenager and I greatly enjoyed revisiting it.  All the stories in this collection end with a happy marriage, but the path to the marriage differs.  Some of the stories were whimsical, and some were quite humorous.  Many involved men and women who thought they were too old for love but are able to find the perfect person.  There are misunderstandings that are made right, like in one story where the kids wreck their Aunt’s romance, but can make amends.   I enjoyed them all.

Overall, At the Altar is a perfect comfort read with happy wedded endings for all the stories. 

Book Source:  Purchased at B. Dalton when I was a teen.

No comments:

Post a Comment