Monday, June 8, 2020

Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner


Big Summer was the book I couldn’t put down over Memorial Day weekend.  I loved it!  I always enjoy Jennifer Weiner’s novels, but this one was just the kind of summer book I need right now.  A great story with interesting characters with a giant twist after the first act that I was not expecting at all.  With a refrain of “What just happened?” it was hard for me to put this book down until the mystery was solved.  This makes it somewhat difficult to review as I do not want to spoil the surprise of the novel.

Jennifer Weiner writes great characters that are believable and someone that you would like to be friends with.  Daphne Berg is a classic Jennifer Weiner character. She is a plus size social media influencer.  Daphne has had a tough time with her appearance, but after learning to accept herself, she has been able to try to help others feel good about their appearance as well.  Her best friend growing up was Drue Cavanaugh.  Beautiful and rich, Daphne felt privileged just to be in her circle although sometimes she felt the barbs that Drue threw at her.  After one fatal night where Drue told her exactly what she felt about her, Daphne hadn’t talked to her for six years.  She is stunned when Drue shows back up to ask her to be her maid of honor.  Swept back up into Drue’s world, everything seems perfect for the wedding of the year on Cape Cod . . . until everything goes wrong.  What happened?  What is the story of Dru Cavanaugh?

I loved how Daphne peeled back the layers of her own understanding to comprehend her friend better and to help solve the mystery of the novel.  I really like how the characters were multi layered.  It’s really easy in the “mean girl” kind of story to just have that girl be very mean and our heroine very good.  It was nice to learn the good and the bad of both characters.  I felt really sorry for Dru.  I loved how Daphne realized the good things she had in life.  The novel also took a good look at social media and the role it plays in our modern life for good and for bad.  I thought that was very interesting. The ending of this novel was perfect.

I loved the look at Daphne’s family relationships.  Her critical grandmother who cut her down for her weight felt very familiar to me as I had my own weight obsessed Grandma growing up.  It stinks to be the “fat” granddaughter.  Especially now when I look back at my old pictures and realize that while I was never skinny, I also was not fat.  I would call myself pleasingly plump – ha!!  I also loved the special relationship she had with her father and how he took the time to really listen to her and spend time with her.  It reminds me of how even though life gets very busy, it’s important to spend just quiet time with my kids.

I loved Daphne’s romance in the novel.  It was mysterious and hot.  I will say no more to keep the plot secret.  I am starting to feel old though.  I’m usually the age of Weiner’s heroines or younger.  Now the heroine is in her 20’s and I’m 42.  Time is passing me by!

Favorite Quotes:
“Even if things don’t get better, you can always make them look good on the Internet.”

“I thought of how awful Drue had been, how carelessly cruel, and , still, how much I’d loved her, how I’d been powerless in the face of her charms; how, as soon as I heard the familiar cadences of her voice, as soon as I felt her attention, her regard, all of that focused on me, I was ready to forgive her, to forgive everything, just to have her in my life again, because life with Drue was a good time, a memorable time.”

“In that moment, I felt a great enfolding sympathy for him, a sorrow so piercing and complete it was hard to breathe.”

Overall, Big Summer is the perfect book for the summer with great characters, story, and mystery.  I highly recommend it!

Book Source:  Purchased from Amazon.com

2 comments:

  1. wow it's been a while since I've read one of Jennifer's books but this sounds like just what I need to put on my shelf. Thanks for this fantastic review Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book about friendship! I will definitely keep it in mind. Thank you, again, for a wonderful review, Laura!

    ReplyDelete