Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Persuasion by Jane Austen

 


Title:  Persuasion

Author: Jane Austen

Read by:  Juliet Stevenson

Publisher: Naxos Audiobook

Length: Approximately 8 hours and 43 minutes

Source: Purchased from Audible.

 

Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel.  It was published posthumously and was written at the end of Jane Austen’s life.  The story is a story of second chances.  Anne Elliot rejected the engagement from Frederick Wentworth eight years before.  She loved the young Lieutenant Wentworth, but his wealth and consequence were not enough for her friends and family to think it a prudent marriage.  She allowed herself to be persuaded out of the marriage.  Now Wentworth is back as a wealthy Captain.  The Elliot’s meanwhile have seen a decrease in their fortune and have to rent their estate out to Wentworth’s sister and brother-in-law while they take a house in Bath.  Will they find their way back to each other?

 I read Persuasion this month as it is the September book club selection for JASNA Wisconsin.  I can’t wait to discuss it! I have reviewed Persuasion on this blog before as I love, love, love this book.  This time I’m going to go over highlights and thoughts on had on my latest reread.

 

·       Juliet Stevenson is a wonderful narrator.  She was Mrs. Elliot in the 1996 version of Emma, and I have listened to her narrate other audiobooks in the past. 

·       I love thinking about this novel and how it was written at the end of Jane’s life.  It makes me wonder, did she look back on life and have regrets perhaps of a love that she rejected?  If only we had her missing letters!

·       I love Austen’s characters.  Their traits are still what we see in family, friends, and neighbors today from the preening and narcissism of Mr. Elliot to the hypochondriasis of Anne’s sister Mary.

·       I love the description of Lyme Regis.  Every time I listen to this book, it makes me want to visit and find Louisa’s wall.

·       Louisa puzzles me and kind of makes me sad.  I know she was young and impetuous, but it seems a lot to have a near death experience to take away her spirit and have her settle down.

·       Speaking of Louisa, do you think Captain Wentworth ever had any feelings for her? 

·       I love Anne’s friend Mrs. Smith and her good-natured gossip.  I love that Captain Wentworth helps her at the end to get what is due to her.  It’s sad that without a male relative back in that era, you couldn’t get your finances settled.

·       I wonder if Elizabeth Elliot every married.  I can imagine her spending the rest of her days just wandering around Bath with her father.

·       Wentworth’s letter is still the most romantic letter of all time.

·       The ending is not nearly as long as Austen’s other novels.  I wonder if she would have lived if this book would have been expanded at all.

·       Where do you think Anne and Captain Wentworth ended up living?  The movie versions have different ideas.

·       What is your favorite movie version?  I love the 1995 version.  Are you looking forward to the new movie?

2 comments:

  1. Great post on Persuasion! Also my favorite novel of Austen's. 1995 version also my favorite! But I have enjoyed all of the versions I've seen.

    I don't think Wentworth ever entertained much for Louisa. I think she was a distraction and a way to make Anne a bit jealous or at least test her out.

    I'm rereading P&P right now. I'll probably reread Persuasion after I'm done! I should listen to it. I've never done that before.

    Thanks for the thoughts. Love me some Austen discussions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your thoughts as well. I always think Wentworth liked her until he talks in the end about how he was astonished to realize everyone thought he was going to make an offer for her and had to leave town. Oops!! Now that I've started down the Austen audiobook path, I find I just love to listen to them!

      Delete