Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Christmas at Thompson Hall & Other Christmas Stories by Anthony Trollope

 

What genre would you like to read more of?  I would like to read more classic authors and novels this year.  With the Back to the Classics Book Club fired up again at the Kewaunee Public Library, I’m hoping that helps me to meet my goal!

Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope was one of the December selections for the Back to the Classics Book Club.  I read this on Christmas Day and found it to be quite delightful.  I have read and enjoyed a few of Trollope’s novels in the past, but I have not read any of his short stories until now.  This collection had a few gems.  I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the humorous short stories made me laugh out loud a few times.  They are set in the nineteenth century, mostly in England, but one is during the American Civil War.  They really show Trollope’s wit and his excellence at writing great characters.  My favorite story was the title story, Christmas at Thompson Hall.  It is a story of mistaken identify in the British upper classes as one woman struggles to return from France to her family’s estate Thompson Hall for Christmas.  We all enjoyed the story.  I think it would make a great Masterpiece Theatre movie.

Overall, if you are looking for a good way to experience the writing style of Anthony Trollope, or you are looking for a humorous light Victorian story, I highly recommend this collection.

This is my last Christmas review for the season, although I may be tempted to read another Christmas book yet this winter.

Book Source: I received this as a Christmas gift last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment