Tuesday, March 21, 2023

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

 


What is your favorite color for a book cover?  I really love greys in the cover of this book and it matches my cat Bob so well!

I have been meaning to read The Kind Worth Killing for years and was glad to get to it this month as I got ready to read the new Peter Swanson book, The Kind Worth Saving.  I read his novel Eight Perfect Murders in the past and really enjoyed it.

Ted Severson is flying back to the United States from London when he meets the beautiful Lily Kintner on the plane.  He finds himself opening up to her about his problems.  His wife, Miranda, is cheating on him with the contractor that is building their new home.  Ted says he would like to kill his wife, and Lily agrees that she would like to help. Will they go through with it?

This starts the wild and crazy ride this book is.  I did not guess the ending of this book and was completely surprised by it so I don’t want to ruin it for others.  The first part of the book alternates chapters in the present with Ted and in the past with Lily to lead up to current events.  The second part of the book brings in different narrators to complete the story.  The Kind Worth Killing was a great suspense thriller that kept me up too late at night reading as I wanted to see what would happen next.  The twists were great.  I felt like just when I would think I knew where the story was heading a new twist would come in and change the direction of the story.  The twists all made sense in the story.  I loved it!

The Kind Worth Killing reminded me of the classic Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train (I still need to read the classic Patricia Highsmith novel).  I love Hitchcock movies and would so love to see this book made into a movie.

I really want to talk about the ending of this book with someone.  It was open ended and has definitely kept me thinking about it.

Favorite Quote:

”Truthfully, I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”

Book Source:  Purchased from Amazon.com

1 comment:

  1. You've got me so curious about this book! I really liked Swanson's Eight Perfect Murders, and I love Hitchcock....so I think I'd like this one, too. Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete