Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dreamgirls

I finally watched Dreamgirls this week in bits and pieces. It was a good movie. I love musicals any way, but the acting and singing in this musical were wonderful. No actresses with voices not quite up to par (sorry Renee, but your voice was pretty weak in Chicago!).

Dreamgirls tells the story of a Motown girls' trio of singers (The Dreamettes), Deena (Beyonce Knowles), Lorell (Anika Noni Rose) , and Effie (Jennifer Hudson), and their rise to power. They find a manager, Curtis (Jamie Foxx), who helps the trio become back-up singers to Jimmy Early (Eddie Murphy). Eventually to make them "mainstream," Curtis makes them their own act called the Dreams and has Deena become the lead singer although Effie is the better singer. Deena is skinny and more beautiful and Curtis wants to use that to make the group big. Curtis also curtails Jimmy's "crazy" act and has him sing soul music. He manages the singers down to the fine details and does not let them have the artistic expression they would like to have. Worst of all, he was dating Effie and two timing her with Deena. He throws Effie out of the trio eventually because she is late to rehearsals and not feeling well.

At this point Effie sings "And I'm Telling You, I'm not Going." I had been listening to the soundtrack for months before I saw the movie, and I must tell you - it was riveting watching Jennifer Hudson sing this on screen and so much better than just hearing it. You could see the pain in her face and understand her loss. It made me sad, but also made me appreciate how wonderful a singer and actress Jennifer Hudson is!

I'm confused on why this movie was shut-out from a best movie and director oscar nomination. It was much better than Chicago (as was Moulin Rouge). Things that make you wonder!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment