Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Late Wisconsin Spring by John Koethe



 
The Late Wisconsin Spring is a book of poems published by the Princeton Legacy Library.  I haven’t read much poetry since my college days so I thought I would open up my horizons and read something different.  This collection contained mostly sad poems on what could have been and how the things could be different if another path had been chosen.  I thought they were well written and there were many beautiful lines that I’ve shared below.

Each One as She May
“One life is enough.  One private story
Lived out on a summer day.”

“For life is reading and respite from reading,
And living in a vague idea of where the others are,
Or in dreams, or in these simple versions of the past.”

Picture of Little Letters
“Afterwards.  The words meander through the mirror
But I don’t want them now, I don’t want these abbreviations.
What I want in poetry is a kind of abstract photography
Of the nerves, but what I like photography
Is the poetry of literal pictures of the neighborhood.”

Dark Bedroom
“And a beautiful moon fills the sky with transparent light.
Where is that happiness I knew so many years ago?
Or was it only casual fears held in the passing
Solitude of recollection, here under the summer stars?”

Overall, and interesting book of poetry with some beautiful lines and sentiments.

Book Source:  The Kewaunee Public Library

2 comments:

  1. “For life is reading and respite from reading" and other lines you've shared lead me to believe that I'd also enjoy this reflective poetry collection. Very lovely review, Laura!

    ReplyDelete