Thursday, February 28, 2019

Laura’s Top 10 Books of 2018


I’m always a little behind on my top ten books from the past year.  I’ve got links to reviews of my favorite books of 2018 below in my list.  I had a hard time narrowing down my list so I have quite a few books in my runner’s up list as well.  Let’s discuss what you think of my list in the comments below.  What were your favorite books of 2018?  Were any the same as mine?

These are the ten books I loved the most that I read in the year 2018.  It doesn’t mean they were necessarily published in 2018.  I also didn’t count books that I was reading again for the second time (The Long Winter for example by Laura Ingalls Wilder).  These were the books I read and then couldn’t stop thinking about long after I’d read the final page.  They are in no particular order, but are my top ten favorite books.  They are a mix of non-fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, literary fiction and classics.

  1. And Then There were None by Agatha Christie - This was pretty much the perfect mystery novel.
  2. My Grandmother Asked Meto Tell you She’s Sorry by Fredrik Backman - An exceptional and interesting story with magical elements woven throughout about a gifted girl learning how to deal with grief and bullying.
  3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon  - A great coming of age story and a mystery seen through the eyes of the autistic narrator.  I just thought it was a mystery and was blindsided by the deep emotional turn the book took. 
  4. Every Note Played and Still Alice by Lisa Genova - Both of these novels were 2018 Kewaunee Library Book Club picks, and both were excellent looks at how neurological diseases affect someone and their family.  They were both great books to discuss.
  5. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - Awesome in both print and audiobook, this classic novel is a wild ride into the hypocrisy and lunacy of war.  I can't wait for George Clooney's new series based on this book.
  6. The Giver by Lois Lowry - I will admit, I'm still creeped out by the end of this book.  A good look into the horror we can create when we try to make the perfect world.
  7. Between Earth and Sky by Amanda Skenadore - This historical fiction novel blew me away with a heart rending story involving the boarding schools that were used to assimulate Native American Children and tear them away from their culture.
  8. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood - Another great book for book club, The Handmaid's Tale provided a lot of discussion.  Could you see this dystopian future happening?
  9. The Children’s Blizzard by David Laskin - There is a reason why we call off school when we know the weather will be cold, and it's The Children's Blizzard.  It's a horrifying true story of the blizzard of 1888.
  10. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - A hilarious love story told by an autistic professor. It was a unique novel that made me laugh out loud a lot while reading it.

5 comments:

  1. Great list! I especially agree with the Agatha Christie, The Giver and The Children's Blizzard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thank you for sharing your list of favorites. I like that they are a mix of non-fiction, historical fiction, literary fiction, mystery, romance, and the classics. I've only read #6, The Giver. I'll keep your list in mind, for future reading. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased I've read quite a few on this list. Those I haven't I am going to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books that stay with you long after you’ve read them are personal classics—I still think about Curious Incident even though I read it years ago. I have got to read The Children’s Blizzard—it’s terrifying and real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with The Children's Blizzard, it was terrifying, but a gripping read. I really like to mix up my reading. I'd say that historical fiction is my favorite genre, but I can't read too much of one genre or I get bored!!

    ReplyDelete