Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Guest List by Lucy Foley


What is the last book you decided you were going to read as you keep seeing it everywhere on social media?  I keep seeing The Guest List all over Instagram.  I read and loved Lucy Foley’s previous novel, The Hunting Party, earlier this year, so I was ready to read this new suspense story. 

Jules Keegan and Will Slater are getting married in an exclusive wedding on a remote island off the coast of Ireland. Jules runs a popular online magazine and Will is a reality TV star on an adventure program.  As the guests arrive, secrets start to come out about the couple.  Someone will not be leaving the wedding alive.  Who will it be and who is the murderer when seemingly everyone has a motive?

The Guest List was written in the same format as The Hunting Party and I enjoyed it.  Alternating chapters are told through the point of view of various characters including Jules, Will, best man Johnno, wedding planner Aoife, sister of the bride, Olivia, and plus one of an usher, Hannah.  The loved how the various characters and pieces of the story slowly came together to a stunning conclusion.  I was able to guess many of the secrets from the clues in the text, but the final conclusion was a surprise.  I love a good suspense story and I think having it at a wedding is perfect. There is a lot going on during a wedding with different personalities and emotions.  The setting on a stormy island off the coast of Ireland was perfect as well.

Overall, The Guest List is an intriguing suspenseful mystery novel set during a perfect storm of emotions at a high-end wedding.

Book Source:  Checked out from the Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

4 comments:

  1. I like this author but this book is new to me. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good suspense story, too. This one's high on my To Read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I'm glad that you enjoyed reading this suspenseful story. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy as well. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We read and discussed this book for the FLICKS Book & Movie Club (AKA Rogue) in February 2023 and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete