Friday, October 30, 2020

The Residence by Andrew Pyper

 

What if the White House contains an evil spirit that the President cannot get rid of?

 On the way to Washington DC, newly elected President Franklin Pierce is involved in a terrible train accident.  While he and his wife Jane survive, their son Bennie does not.  They move into the White House and Pierce starts his Presidency, but both are shattered.  Jane is full of fear and sorry and invites the infamous Fox sisters to the White House to perform a séance.  During this séance she realizes that she may have invited more to the White House than she would like.  How will the Pierces battle this evil and move on?

 I love presidential history, but I do not remember ever learning this true story about the tragic death of young Bennie Pierce on the way to Washington D.C. I was fascinated.  I also liked the look into the Pierce’s marriage and how this tragedy affected it.  I know that seances and the look for spirits was very popular during this time period and I thought that was interesting. I’ll admit though that this book got too scary and strange to me.  I don’t want to say more to ruin the story – but it is really creepy!

 Overall, The Residence is an incredibly creepy look into the haunting of President Pierce and his wife Jane after the death of their son.  It’s the perfect book to scare you this time of year.

 Book Source:  Review Copy from Simon & Schuster.  Thank-you!

2 comments:

  1. I don't like séances and astrology because it is so easy to get caught in it like a whirlpool and believe everything they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about this president, or about his son; makes me want to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete