Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter


 A riot in a prison ends with a murder of a prisoner.  The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) agent Will Trent and crew are on the scene to investigate the crime.  To their surprise, their visit to the prison leads them to an inmate that has information about a girl that was found in the woods had died by an assumed “accidental death.”  His information points to a serial killer with crimes that link to Will’s girlfriend Sara’s past.  Her late first (and second husband) Jeffrey was the county Sheriff that worked on the first two crimes that are indicated.  This new information brings open the past for Sara.  Will they be able to find out who the serial killer is and stop him before his next crime?

 I loved this book and couldn’t put it down.  I’ve read a few Karin Slaughter novels over the last few years and they are page turners.  This is the latest in the Will Trent series.  I have not read most of the series, but I’m still able to enjoy the novels.  I need to go back at some point and catch myself up.  This novel flipped back and forth in time to Jeffrey’s investigation of the first murder during the time that he and Sara were divorced, and the current investigation.  It gave me a great background to these two characters and was a great firsthand look at the first crimes.

 I did figure out who the murderer was early on in this book, but it was satisfying to see my suspicion confirmed and to see how it all tied together.  I also liked that the novel also further developed Sara and Will’s relationship.  I look forward to seeing how the two of them continue to move forward on their relationship.

 Favorite Quotes:

“She did not want a silent husband.  She sure as hell was not going to be a silent wife.”

 “Trauma was trauma.  Every person reacted differently.”

 “You stopped talking to me . . . I used to be your confidant.  You could tell me anything. I thought I was marrying my lover.  I ended up with a silent wife.”

 Overall, The Silent Wife is a riveting thriller with great characters.

 Book Source:  Review Copy from William Morrow. Thank-you!

 

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I haven't read anything by Karin Slaughter (I don't read a lot of thrillers). But this does sound intriguing! I enjoyed your review and the quotes.

    ReplyDelete