Thursday, August 19, 2021

Gone Too Long by Lori Roy

 


My friend Jen loaned me this book and told me I would be up all night to finish it.  I’ve been holding off reading it until I had that kind of time.  She was right and I couldn’t put this book down once I picked it up.

I didn’t know anything about this novel when I started to read it and honestly, I think that is a great way to go into it.  It tells the story of two different people.  Beth is a ten-year-old girl with an alcoholic mother.  One terrible day, she is kidnapped and locked in a strange basement.  She uses her skills to survive and tries to figure out a way to escape.  Seven years in the future, Imogene is getting ready to attend the funeral of her Klan leader father.  Her mother enlists her help to figure out some of the secrets he left behind.  Will Imogene find all of her father’s ghosts and figure out a way for herself to move on?  Will Beth make it out of the basement?

Gone Too Long was action packed with a swift moving plot.  It was very interesting, and I enjoyed reading it.  I will admit though that I wasn’t totally happy with the ending.  I really want to talk to someone about it!  I thought the look into the history of the Klan and how it has impacted the members, community, family, and victims of its hate was very interesting.  History of the Klan was told between chapters.  It was sad to see that it seemed to have had its day, but it’s risen back up again today and is as full of hate as ever.  Knowing that people filled with such hate can surround you in your community is a horror novel of its own.

Overall, Gone Too Long is a thriller that you won’t be able to put down!

Book Source:  Borrowed from my friend Jen.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. The subject is something I've read very little about though hate as it embodies is something I have come across very well in my own country most often supported by whoever the government was in power. So name is different but the movement is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already worried about what happens to Beth in the basement!

    ReplyDelete