Sunday, October 10, 2021

Defending Britta Stein by Ronald H. Balson


 Are you looking for an intriguing legal thriller mixed with a historical fiction novel?  Look no further than Defending Britta Stein by Ronald H. Balson.  I read Defending Britta Stein at the end of September for the Brenda Novak Book Group.  Author Brenda Novak had a great interview with author Ronald H. Balson that can still be found on her Facebook page.

 Ole Henryks is a popular restaurant owner in Chicago is being honored for being a Danish war hero.  This does not sit well with ninety-two-year-old Britta Stein who starts a one-woman campaign to discredit Ole by graffitiing his restaurant.  After charges are pressed against Britta, can her legal team defend her by showing it’s not defamation, but true statements about Ole Henryks?  Britta narrates her past to her legal team and granddaughter and long buried secrets are unearthed.    Was Ole Henryks a Nazi collaborator?  How did his life intersect Britta’s life?

 I found out when I started reading this novel that it is part of a series.  It stood up well as a stand alone novel, although I am intrigued about the series now.  I had no idea about the Danish history during World War II and I loved learning about it. It was particularly wonderful to read about how an entire country was able to pull together for the greater good and help people out to save almost their entire Jewish population.  I am amazed I had never learned about this before.  This would make a wonderful movie.  I loved Britta’s story, but I’m not sure why she waited until this very late stage of her life to share it with her granddaughter.

 Overall, Defending Britta Stein is an engaging legal thriller and historical fiction novel that is not to be missed!

 Book Source:  Review copy from Netgalley.  Thank-you!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I had read an earlier book in the series (Karolina's Twins), which also held up well on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mix of genres sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete