Friday, June 10, 2022

Why Didn't They Ask Evans by Agatha Christie

 


Why Didn’t They Ask Evans was the April selection for the #ReadChristie2022 Challenge?  I read it earlier this month and found it to be a delightful mystery.  This standalone mystery fits the prompt “featuring adventure.”

Bobbie Jones is playing golf when he comes across what appears to be an accident.  A man appears to have inadvertently fallen off a ledge and is laying dying. While waiting for help to arrive, the dying man tells Bobbie, “Why Didn’t they Ask Evans?”  He is not sure what this means but figures out it must be something important after he is almost poisoned when revealing this phrase to the dying mans supposed relatives.  Bobbie’s neighbor, Frankie, or Lady Frances Derwent also thinks this is interesting and the two partner up to solve the crime.  Who is the murdered man, why was he murdered, and who is Evans?

I enjoyed this mystery.  It was a lighthearted madcap adventure.  Bobbie and Frankie were both great characters.  I loved their story with the hint of romance.  I did figure out part of the mystery, but not all of it and was surprised as always by the ending.  I only wish there were more adventures starring these two as I would love to read them.  Have you watched the new show Why Didn’t They Ask Evans on Britbox?  I think I am going to get Britbox just to watch it!

Overall, Why Didn’t They Ask Evans?  was a fun and enjoyable Christie mystery.

Book Source:  I purchased this book for my Kindle from Amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. I recently watched the short mini-series on BritBox and loved it. I got a copy of the book and plan to read it this summer. I have no idea if the adaptation is faithful to the Christie novel, but the premise is definitely the same. Both Bobby and Frankie are utterly delightful.

    ReplyDelete