Sunday, October 22, 2023

Hallowe’en Party by Agatha Christie

 


Title:  Hallowe’en Party

Author:  Agatha Christie

Narrated by:  Hugh Fraser

Publisher: HarperAudio

Length: Approximately 6 hours and 27 minutes

Source: Checked out with Hoopla through the Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

 

Do you like Halloween parties?  If so, do you dress up in a costume for a Halloween Party?

In Hallowe’en Party by Agatha Christie, a Halloween party for teenagers ends in the murder of Joyce, a young thirteen-year-old who stated at the party that she had witnessed a murder, but didn’t know it at the time.  Ariadne Oliver gets her friend, Detective Hercule Poirot to help to investigate the murder.  Who is the murderer and why did they commit this horrific crime?

I enjoyed how the action picked up in this novel once Poirot was on the scene and I was surprised by the ending as usual.  I didn’t like how Christie seemed to be trying to make the story modern by throwing in some modern slang and making the children seem wild and promiscuous.  I know it was 1969, but the way some of the twelve-year olds and their behavior were described at the party seemed like it should have been a party for seventeen-year-olds.  This story just seemed off and was not one of my favorites.  It may be because it was one of her later stories.

I read Hallowe’en Party as both my #ReadChristie2023 October selection and as part of the read along with #deesreads.  I enjoyed reading everyone’s comments on the story.  I enjoyed reading it for the first time and feel ready to watch A Haunting in Venice, the new Hercule Poirot movie that is partly based on this novel.

Hugh Fraser was a great narrator.  I enjoyed how he was able to change his voice to be the distinct voice of all of the characters including children and even someone with a Scottish accent.  It was an enjoyable cozy mystery to listen to in an audiobook!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this Christie, but A Haunting in Venice looks like a good movie. My cousin does a Halloween party every year with a different theme and we all dress up for it; it's very fun. This year's theme is Boo-Ray for Hollywood and we're supposed to go as our favorite movie character. :D

    ReplyDelete