Wednesday, October 4, 2023

The Secrets of Still Waters Chasm by Patricia Crisafulli (TLC Book Tour)

 

What flowers are still in bloom in your area?  My coneflowers and brown-eyed susans are hanging on as well as my potted mums.  We have not had a freeze yet!

Gabriela Domenici and her boyfriend Daniel Red Deer are hiking in the wilderness of Still Waters Chasm in the State of New York when they come across a dead body and another dying person.  They try to administer first aid, but when it proves to be futile, they go to a higher area to call for help.  When they return, the two bodies and their canoe are missing.  Where did they go?  Was this a case of accidental poisoning or was it foul play?

This is the second book in the series following last year’s The Secrets of Ohnita Harbor.  It picks up after the conclusion of the first novel with Gabriela still struggling with her feelings from almost being killed.  She is also working on furthering her relationship with Daniel Red Deer while also keeping her outspoken mother Agnese out of her relationship.  I found her to be such a relatable character as she struggles with work, being a mother, and love.  Throw a mystery on top of it and no wonder she is stressed!  I also love that she is a librarian who does detective work as a hobby.

I really enjoyed this novel.  I loved the characters and the setting.  I loved returning to Ohnita Harbor and getting to spend more time with this cast of characters.  While this can be read as a stand alone novel, I recommend reading The Secrets of Ohnita Harbor first so that you can really get to know the characters.  The setting sounds very beautiful and makes me want to visit upper New York.

I liked the cozy mystery in this novel as well.  The mysterious deaths also involved fracking and an old plan for a ship.  I didn’t guess the ending and loved seeing all the pieces fall into place as the story progressed.  The ending was pretty fast paced, and I couldn’t stop reading too far into the night to see how it all wrapped up.

Book Source:  Review copy from Woodhall Press and author Patricia Crisafulli as a part of the TLC Book Tour. Thank-you!  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

1 comment:

  1. Setting, story, surroundings all seem spot on. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete