Sunday, May 26, 2024

Daughter of Mine by Megan Miranda

 


Title: Daughter of Mine

Author:  Megan Miranda

Narrated by:  Ines del Castillo

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio

Length: Approximately 10 hours and 19 minutes

Source: Review Copy from Simon & Schuster Audio.  Thank you @simonandschuster @BookClubFavorites #BookClubFavorites for the free books!

Do you like to vacation by a lake, ocean, or other body of water?  I always think it’s fun to canoe, boat, and swim in water during vacations.

Hazel Sharpe’s father has recently passed away.  She returns home to Mirror Lake for his funeral and to settle the estate.  Much to her surprise, she discovers that her father, a long-time detective in town, left her his house, and her brothers his assets, but his accounts are empty.  As the town goes without rain, two cars are discovered in the lake as goes to record lows.  She realizes that her father has left her clues to follow to figure a mystery that is ongoing at Mirror Lake.  What does it all mean, and what does it have to do with her mother’s disappearance when she was a child?

My thoughts on this novel:

·       This thriller had a lot of twists and turns that were very exciting.  It was a great thriller for keeping me engaged and awake through a long drive last month.

·       This was my first book by author Megan Miranda, and I definitely need to read more of her novels.

·       I love water and my career is based on it.  I really liked how each chapter started with a summary of how many days the community had been without rain.  I liked how the water was tied into the story.

·       I felt a sense of foreboding throughout the novel that was tied in with the weather.  It all cumulated in the climax at the end.  I had some hints along the way, but I didn’t guess the ending.

·       I liked the family dynamics and how they played out in the novel.

·       I felt bad for Hazel as she spent her life grappling with being abandoned by her mother.

·       I love the setting – it made me want to visit Mirror Lake, North Carolina.  I had to Google it when I finished the novel, and it looks like it is a real place!

·       I liked how the book had the theme of “daughters are different.”

·       Ines del Castillo was a great narrator!

Overall, Daughter of Mine was a riveting thriller and I greatly enjoyed it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment