Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Elusive Truth of Lily Temple by Joanna Davidson Politano (Austenprose PR Book Tours)

 


Do you like silent movies?  I didn’t really like them when I was a kid, but now as an adult I find them fascinating and inventive.

The Elusive Truth of Lily Temple by Joanna Davidson Politano is the story of silent film actress Lily Temple.  It’s 1903 and famous sapphire, the Briarwood Teardrop has been missing for years, but Lily Temple is wearing this famous sapphire.  Peter Driscoll is an underground investigator and asks for her help on the case of the missing sapphire.  What is the truth and what is fiction when it comes to Lily Temple?

My thoughts on this book:

·       I loved the time period and setting.  I could definitely see this book as a future movie. 

·       I enjoyed the quotes that started each chapter and varied from such works as Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, Grimm fairy tales, etc.

·       A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens is a favorite of mine, and I like how Lily uses it to tell her own story.  I just overall loved how storytelling was featured in this novel to advance the plot.

·       This was a story of loss, love, and redemption.  Lily has lost her trust in God and through the course of the book, she finds her faith again.

·       I greatly enjoyed the mystery in this novel, and it kept me guessing.  I love well written historical mysteries.

·       I enjoyed the author’s note on historical research.  St. Anne’s Well Gardens is a real place and George Smith was a real editor. 

·       The sneak peak of the The Lost Melody by Joanna Davidson Politano looks fascinating.

·       This book is a clean read.

Favorite Quote:  “I, however, never let facts get in the way of a good story.  Like water, innocuous and common, a good tale rushes forward, carving its own path through rock and hill and sod, sculpting the earth into a bold new landscape before anyone knows what is happening.”

Overall, The Elusive Truth of Lily Temple is a beautifully told story of redemption. It’s a unique and wonderful story that uses the power of storytelling to push the plot forward.  It is also an intriguing historical mystery.

Book Source:  Review copy from Revell Books as part of the Austenprose PR Book Tour. Thank-you!  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.



1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a good read!

    Thanks for sharing this review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete