Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs

Just Breathe is the March pick for my Lakeshore Mom's book club. It was an enjoyable women's fiction novel that was a relatively quick read.

Sarah Moon has been through a difficult period in her life. Although her and her husband Jack are both in their twenties, they discovered that Jack had testicular cancer. After succesfully battling the desease, the two have been trying to get pregnant for a year using fertility treatments. Sarah's world comes crashing down when she discovers that Jack is having an affair. Sarah leaves Jack and Chicago behind and returns home to her small town on the California coast. She discovers herself as a woman without Jack and as an accomplished cartoonist. To say more would ruin the plot!


I enjoyed the book, but I wouldn't read the flap on the cover of the book again - it gave away EVERYTHING. I think some things were supposed to be left as plot twists, but I knew them going in because of the cover, which was disappointing. I liked the secondary characters, but thought they could have been a little more developed. Overall, a satisfactory read - but skip the cover summary!

3 comments:

  1. Great review...this sounds like a great book! Please stop over and see the award that I gave you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo-Jo! I'll post this on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up on reading the book flap. I hate it when too much is given away. I'm a Wiggs fan so I'll be reading this sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete