Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Love, Lies, and Liquor by M.C. Beaton (Audiobook)

I am working on a pretty boring sewer calibration right now. I went down to the local library to find some interesting books on CDs to keep my mind going while I plug away on my work. I must admit, I picked this book on CD as I really liked the title, Love, Lies, and Liquor.

Loves, Lies, and Liquor is the 17th in the the Agatha Raisin mystery series. I have never read (or listened to) any of the other books in the series, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on the plot because of it. In this novel, Agatha is still enamored with her ex-husband, James Lacey. James is a travel author and invites Agatha to go on a vacation with him. Agatha thinks this will be a romantic get-away to someplace tropical, but instead they end up in a run-down seaside village with the great name of Snoth-on-Sea. James remembers it fondly from his youth, but it has been run down a lot since then. Needless to say, Agatha is a bit disappointed. While they are in town, an unpleasant fellow vacationer is found strangled with Agatha's scarve. Agatha is soon caught up in the mystery and brings in help from her detective agency.

I must admit that since I was listening and working at the same time, I did get a bit confused by all of the secondary characters. I also got annoyed at times with Agatha for doing stupid things (going on a date with a stranger when someone is out to kill her) that it would seems she wouldn't do as a detective. Overall though, the best part of the book was the romance between Agatha and James. The mistaken intentions between the two caused much comedy. It was a light "read" and kept me entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment