Monday, August 20, 2007

Miss Potter

I liked the movie Miss Potter, it had me sheding a few tears, much to Kile's dismay.

Miss Potter is an imaginative biopic of the author Beatrix Potter (The Tale of Peter Rabit, etc.). Beatrix has a strict upbringing and is expected to marry her equal in society. Instead Beatrix remains single and hones her gifted artistic skills. She decides to publish her first novel and finds love and friendship with her publisher, Norman Warne. Her mother does not approve of her publishing or of her love and friendship with Norman. Unfortunately, the ways of love do not run smooth, which caused me many shed tears.

Renee Zellweger played Beatrix Potter and Ewan McGregor was superb as Norman Warne. I thought Renee looked not quite up to par as Beatrix, older than she was supposed to be at the beginning at 32. The movie also seemed to skip through Beatrix's life very fast. I also was unsure the beginning when Beatrix was talking to her characters like they were real people. It made her seem rather daff. But overall, I thought the romance, heartbreak, and landscape made the movie a good picture. I recommend it to anyone who likes a good weepy romance set in high class England at the turn of the twentieth century.

No comments:

Post a Comment