Thursday, March 31, 2011

Staying at Daisy’s by Jill Mansell

Staying at Daisy’s is a very enjoyable British “Chick Lit” novel. Jill Mansell has a unique style of writing that I really enjoy. Her novels bring to life small English villages complete with an entire cast of characters that I grow to love through the course of the novel.

Daisy MacLean manages a manor hotel that her eccentric author father bought in a small English village. Daisy has had a tough time since the death of her husband and is trying to learn to love again. When rugby sports hero Dev Tyzack stays at her hotel for a wedding, sparks fly, but is the lady’s magnet a man that Daisy wants to end up with or is her dependable, cuddly, ex-boyfriend Josh the man for her?

Daisy’s friend Tara is a chambermaid at the hotel and is unlucky in love. When she meets up with her ex-boyfriend, he is hours away from being married, but admits he is still attracted to her. Tara’s Aunt Maggie is sleeping with Daisy’s father Hector, and is getting paid to do so! Maggie doesn’t want to be a one-man prostitute and would love to have a real relationship with Hector, but when a famous movie-star stays at the hotel, Maggie has some stiff competition.

These are just some of the loveable and interconnected characters in Staying at Daisy’s. Once I got into the novel, I couldn’t put it down. I really liked each of the story lines, and liked how they were all nicely resolved by the conclusion of the book. I wouldn’t mind reading more about these characters! I also really liked the novels setting in a small English village. It seems that most chick lit novels have a mandatory setting in London or New York City. It’s nice to see that there is life beyond those areas!

Overall, if you are looking for a fun, funny, and romantic novel, I high recommend Staying at Daisy’s.

Book Source: Advance Review Copy from Sourcebooks – Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. This one's coming to me in the mail right now from paperbackswap. Thanks for the review! I read - "Millie's Fling" have you read that one? Its really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that one yet - but I've read some good things about it! I'll definitely have to pick that one up soon!

    ReplyDelete