Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tyler by C.H. Admirand

Cowboys, men in uniform, Scottish highlanders, etc. are just a few of the types of leading men characters that for some reason really seem to capture the fancy of the ladies, myself included. When I read the description of Tyler and discovered it was about a cowboy, I knew I had to read it.

Tyler Garahan is having a tough time making ends meet at the ranch left to him and his brothers by their grandfather. He looks for a night job and answers an ad for a man wanted with a strong back. He discovers that the job is to work as a stripper at a local ladies’ club in Pleasure, Texas. He reluctantly takes on the job and falls in love with one of the fiery red head owners, Emily Langley. With a conniving ex-girlfriend trying to ruin their new relationship, and a puritan city board trying to shut down the club, will Tyler and Emily be able to find true happiness?

Tyler does follow several clichés as part of the plot line, such as the poor out of luck person trying to make an honest living by taking it all off or “oh no – Emily has run out of her room and only has a sexy negligee on!” I thought it was all in good fun and liked the interesting twist of having it be a man instead of a woman who has to strip for living. I also thought it was interesting how he was treated like a “piece of meat” in the beginning by the ladies. It was really sexist and actually pretty thought provoking on how men and women are treated as objects of lust rather than as real people.

Overall Tyler is everything I look for in a romance novel - great lead characters, a fun plot, and lots of steamy romance scenes. I read romance novels to get away from the stress of life and this was a perfect escapism read.

Do you like to read about cowboys? What type of romantic leading men capture your fancy?

Book Source: Advance Review Copy from Sourcebooks

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura:

    Thanks so much for reviewing Tyler. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading Tyler and Emily's story and that you enjoyed it.

    I wanted to take readers out West while I got my characters into trouble. ;)

    To answer your question, I love cowboys, men in uniform, Scottish Highlanders...and Medieval Knights! For my favorite image, google La Belle Dame Sans Merci by Sir Frank Dicksee a Pre-Raphaelite painter.

    Slainte'
    C.H. Admirand

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I forget Medieval Knights? Especially when The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick is one of my favorite books!

    I googled La Belle Dame Sans Merci by Sir Frank Dicksee - I love that image!

    I definitely need to check out your other novels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a fabulous blog and I'm tickled that you invited me to be your guest. The review is a dream...thank you, Laura!!!

    Speaking of knights...what about Jude Deveraux's Knight in Shining Armor?

    Thank you for the kind words. ;)

    Slainte'
    C.H. Admirand

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy Jude Deveraux's novels, but I haven't read that one yet! I need to add it to my future reads list. Thank-you for the suggestion! Also thank-you for the kind words about my blog and for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete