Monday, May 11, 2020

One Perfect Summer by Brenda Novak

Does the search for truth sometimes end up destroying the fragile reality you are living in?

Serenity is a truth crime author who has been through a traumatic experience after discovering her own husband lived a double life.  She takes a DNA test to understand how it works for her latest book and discovers a surprise.  She has two half-sisters.  How can this be?  Her parents have always seemed so happy.  She invites her two half-sisters to meet her and spend the summer at her family cabin at Lake Tahoe.  Reagan is a marketing executive consumed by her job in New York City and was raised by her single mother who always seemed detached. She finds herself at a crossroads at work when she can’t deny her attraction to her married boss.  Lorelei was found wandering the streets in Florida when she was two years old.  She has married and had a child, but her marriage is rocked when she discovers her husband has cheated on her with her best friend.  All three women need time to evaluate their own lives, but also to determine, how are they all related?  What is the mystery of their past?

This was the perfect book for me right now.  Once I started reading it on my Kindle, I couldn’t stop.  The relationships and revelations kept me hooked.  I was only sad that everything had to end, I wanted more to the story and to continue on with these ladies.  It was like a written soap opera to me.  I loved all three sisters and was vested in their personal dramas, relationships, and the overall mystery of how they were related.   This was the first novel I’ve read by Brenda Novak, but it won’t be my last!

Favorite Quotes:
“But I have plenty of experience with trying to meet everyone’s expectations so they won’t reject me.  It’s easy to become a slave to that – to lose yourself in it.”

Overall, One Perfect Summer is a perfect story to escape into with great characters, relationships, and stories.

Book Source:  Purchased for my Kindle on Amazon.com

4 comments:

  1. Like the story and like the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this book. Wonderful review, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss reading new posts on your blog! I'm always still checking it!!

      Delete
  3. Thank-you! I just loved this novel and couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete