Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Dangerous Magic (A Pride and Prejudice Variation) by Monica Fairview

What is your favorite retelling of a classic tale?

In an alternate Regency era, England is in a war with France and losing.  In order to project England, Elizabeth Bennet is plucked from her family at their country estate at Longbourn and brought to the Guild Hall in London.  Once there she is expected to marry and bond with the powerful Royal Mage, Fitzwilliam Darcy.  She has always hoped to marry for love and is unhappy over this forced union.  Will Darcy and Elizabeth fall in love?  Will they be able to bond and protect England?

 I enjoyed this new spin on a classic tale.  Monica Fairview understands and perfectly writes the characters from Pride and Prejudice.  It’s amazing reading how true they are to their original characters, but in this new magical setting.  The story was unique, but familiar and I really enjoyed it.  I was just sad it ended but was pleased to see that this is the first in a series and there will be a Book 2 of Jane Austen’s Mages.  I look forward to it. 

I also loved the reimaging of some of the side characters, in particular Caroline Bingley.  I thought it was interesting that the book focused on “bloodlines” and how many people were obsessed on being of noble pure blood in order to be the best Mage.  It seems like Mr. Darcy would think along these lines, but he is friends with the Bingleys.  I liked this and how Elizabeth in turn defies everyone’s expectations of her.

Overall, Dangerous Magic is a fun magical reimagining of Pride and Prejudice.  I loved the story and the characters!

Book Source:  Review Copy from author Monica Fairview.  Thank-you!

6 comments:

  1. This is my first time to encounter your blogsite and am thankful I did.I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for hosting this book tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I greatly enjoyed this one and I hope you do as well!

      Delete
  2. This does sound super fun! Can't wait to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. It kept true to the characters while having a new adventure. I hope you enjoy it as well!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this fantastic review, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thank-you for writing such wonderful novels!

      Delete