Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Irish Princess by Elizabeth Chadwick

In twelfth century, Ireland, Aoife grows up as the daughter of the King of Leinster, Diarmait MacMurchada.  After he is forced from his Kingdom, the family seeks help from King Henry II of England.  This leads the family to Richard de Clare, an Earl who seeks to improve his standing with King Henry II.  Richard and Diarmait hatch a plan to retake Ireland, which includes Richard marrying Aoife as one of the key elements.  Will their plan work to retake Ireland?  Will Richard regain Henry II’s favor?  Will Richard and Aoife find love?

I couldn’t put this book down.  Elizabeth Chadwick is one of my favorite historical fiction authors.  She is able to weave a compelling tale that makes you feel like you are in the twelfth century court of Henry II.  I loved the intrigue and politics that took place to make everything happen.  I also didn’t realize until mostly through the book that this tale is related to my favorite novel of Chadwick’s, The Greatest Knight.  Aoife is his mother-in-law!  I was very intrigued by this and of course the real history in the author’s note at the end of the novel. 

This novel made me realize again, that Game of Thrones is not far fetched when you look at the real history of the Middle Ages.  People were ruthless and it was hard times to live through.   I loved Aoife’s cunning and her love for her family.  I’ll admit, I was sad by the end of the book, but also intrigued at how Aoife was able to hold her world together.

I love reading about history that I previously knew nothing about.  Especially when you have a master craft author like Elizabeth Chadwick writing the tale.

Favorite Quotes:

“Bold deeds are far better sung than experienced.”

“One wrong decision, one moment of dropped guard, made the difference between having everything and having nothing.  Between being alive and being dead.”

Overall, The Irish Princess is historical fiction at its finest and is a riveting tale set in twelfth century Ireland.

Book Source:  Christmas Present from my Best Friend Jenn.  Thank-you!

4 comments:

  1. She is a character in history I am not familiar with. I'm glad this turned out to be such a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read and fun to read about someone new!

      Delete
  2. Wow... I do like the sound of this. I know little about Irish history, but I've been there three times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing! I really want to travel to Ireland, but I haven't been there yet. I want to keep learning more about the history as well!

      Delete