Thursday, April 15, 2021

A Castaway in Cornwall by Julie Klassen


 Laura Callaway lives on the coast of Cornwall and loves to take walks looking for items that have washed ashore.  She returns them to their family or lets loved ones know that a family member has perished.  Laura is an orphan and lives with her Uncle and his new wife and stepdaughter.  As her Aunt works to marry off her cousin, Laura often feels like the odd one out.  After a shipwreck, she helps to rescue and care for a mysterious stranger that has survived, Alexander.  As clues wash ashore, Laura has to put them together to determine what happened.  Who exactly is Alexander?

I greatly enjoyed this story.  I love stories set in Cornwall especially about the shipwrecks that occurred and how they were handled.  The time period of this novel was during the Napoleonic War with the French and I found it fascinating.  I listened in to an interview with author Julie Klassen at the Minnesota January JASNA meeting. Her research into this area and time period were fascinating.  I loved the historical details that were included in this novel. I also loved the characters as Klassen is a great character author. 

This is an inspirational novel, and I enjoyed the theme of finding your purpose. 

I think fans of Poldark, Daphne Du Maurier, and of course Klassen herself would enjoy this novel.

Favorite Quotes:

“Life can be hard, and yours has not been easy.  But I can honestly say that serving God and serving others has given me purpose and fills my soul when life is sometimes disappointing.  I would love for you to find that same fulfillment.”

“Tears overflowed, streaking her cheeks and cleansing the final traces of resentment from her heart.”

Overall, A Castaway in Cornwall is a great historical novel set during a fascinating period of time, the Napoleonic Wars, and has many interesting characters.

Book Source:  Review Copy from Netgalley and Bethany House Publishers.  Thank-you!

6 comments:

  1. I also like stories about Cornwall and the setting. Will add this book to my Goodreads list.
    Visiting you from Marg's historical fiction challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover alone would be enough to draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the setting as well! I enjoyed reading your excellent review, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mystica that the book cover is enough to make me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete