Saturday, January 13, 2024

A Jane Austen Christmas: Regency Christmas Traditions by Maria Grace

 


Title:  A Jane Austen Christmas:  Regency Christmas Traditions

Author:  Maria Grace

Narrated by:  Barry Shannon

Publisher: Maria Grace

Length: Approximately 2 hours and 19 minutes

Source: Purchased from Amazon.com

Do you like to learn about holiday traditions?  I have loved to read about the traditions of all holidays since I was a child.  I really like seeing how our celebrations of holidays have changed through the years.  I was delighted to see this audiobook that focused on regency Christmas traditions, which is one of my favorite time periods to read about.

This book is not about Jane Austen, but it is about how Christmas was celebrated during her time period.  I thought it was interesting that there were no Christmas trees in the Regency period, but that houses were decorated with greenery on Christmas Eve.  Christmas was celebrated during the traditional twelve days of Christmas from Christmas Day through the Epiphany (January 6th).  The book also explained traditional dishes that would have been eaten during the celebrations.  A lot of the celebrations seemed to revolve around card playing and getting together with family and friends.

I thought the book was well researched and informative.  Barry Shannon was a fine narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment