Monday, January 8, 2024

The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans

 


Do you have a favorite Christmas story that you like to return to through the years?  I first read The Christmas Box back when it came out thirty years ago!  I was a teenager back then.  I loved it at that time, but it was fun to return to it now as a mother.

Richard and Keri are young parents who have outgrown their small apartment in Salt Lake City, but do not have the means to upgrade their living situation.  They see an advertisement in the paper that offers a living space in return for light housework, yard care, and meal preparation.  They call and meet MaryAnne who is an elderly lady living alone in a Victorian mansion.  They all hit it off immediately and Richard, Keri, and child move in to help MaryAnne.  As they get to know her, they also discover a Christmas box in the attic.  What is the Christmas box and why is it special?

I read this story on Christmas Eve.  It’s a quick novella, but very moving.  I’ll admit, this book made me cry just like it did when I first read it.  It was like reading a new book again for me as it had been so long.  It really makes you think about people who are alone on the holidays or have lost those they’ve loved.  It also looks at the love between parent and child.

The story is told through the first-person narration of Richard, which made the reader feel that they are a part of the story.  This story was inspirational, and faith based.

It’s not Christmas without a Richard Paul Evans novel and I was happy to revisit this old favorite.

I loved the cover of this thirtieth anniversary edition.  It also had an interesting new forward by Richard Paul Evans about the writing of this book and how it changed his life.

Book Source:  Thank you @BookClubFavorites #BookClubFavorites for the free books.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment