Monday, September 11, 2023

Canary Girls by Jennifer Chiaverini (Bibliolifestyle Book Tour)

 


Thank you, Partner @bibliolifestyle @williammorrowbooks for the review copy of Canary Girls by Jennifer Chiaverini.

Do you know if any women in your family went to work during World War I or II to help in the war effort?  My Dad was recently telling me a story about how my Great Grandma Godfrey went to work in a local factory and saved the money to put indoor plumbing in their home at the end of the war.

Canary Girls is the story of three women who worked during World War I in an ammunitions factory in London.  April is a maid when she learns from her friend about the higher wages and “more fun” that she can have by moving to London to work in the ammunitions factories, so she takes her chance.  Lucy is the wife of a famous football player, Daniel, who has left to fight overseas.  She takes a job to supplement their income and help the war effort.  Helen’s husband is the owner of the Thornshire Arsenal where April and Lucy work.  She is appalled by the conditions and works to help the girls have better work conditions.  The women work with TNT and start to appear yellow and have health problems. They are nicknamed the “canary girls.”  The canary girls also start their own football team and play across the country.

I liked the three different viewpoints in this novel by three very different women from very different backgrounds.  I enjoyed their personal stories, but I was horrified by the women working with this very poisonous substance and the health impacts.  In the author’s note, it’s stated that it is unknown how many women and men were poisoned or injured due to this dangerous work in World War I.

I loved the women playing football during World War I.  It reminded me of A League of their own, but with football (soccer) and in WWI instead of WWII.  I was sad to read in the author’s note that women’s football was banned in 1921 in the UK.  It wasn’t until 1971 that women were allowed to play professionally in the UK. 

I appreciate that author Jennifer Chiaverini is able to weave together so many interesting pieces of history into one fascinating story.  There is sadness and tragedy in this story, but I enjoyed that it ended on a happy note.

I love that Jennifer Chiaverini is a Wisconsin author based in Dane County which she also states in the acknowledgements. 

Favorite quote:  “And for the grieving widows and sisters and mothers, every shell was a blow for vengeance, smoldering and bitter and full of anguish and spite.”

No comments:

Post a Comment