Friday, September 8, 2023

The Enemy at Home by Kevin O’Brien (Bibliolifestyle Book Tour)

 


Thank you, Partner @bibliolifestyle @kensingtonbooks for the review copy of The Enemy at Home by Kevin O’Brien.

What is your favorite fall color?  Orange, dark red, yellow, brown, other?  I love them all!

In Seattle 1943, Nora is a mother of two teenagers with a doctor husband that is serving overseas in World War II.  She has decided to help supplement their income and the war effort by getting a job as a riveter at the Boeing B-17 plant.  As she makes new friends, she is horrified when one of her new friends is found strangled.  She seems to be a part of a disturbing pattern of women war workers that are being murdered.  Nora starts to suspect that the murderer may be someone close to her. Will she be able to figure out who the murderer is before it is too late?

I couldn’t stop reading The Enemy at Home.  It was a gripping historical thriller novel.  I’ll admit I did get annoyed at first thinking that the killer was very obvious from the beginning of the novel, but luckily it was a red herring.  There were many red herrings and it kept me guessing on who the real murderer was.  I really wanted to know how this was going to end up and I loved how all of the pieces fell together completely at the end.  The book brought up a lot of interesting topics: racism, sexism, and homophobia that aren’t standard in World War II fiction.  It was an interesting look at the time period.  I enjoyed learning about the home front experience on the west coast.

This was my first book by Kevin O’Brien and I need to check out more by him.  I really loved how it was a mystery thriller set during a fascinating period of history.

1 comment:

  1. This does sound like a very gripping novel. I love this combination of historical fiction and mystery. :D

    ReplyDelete