Sunday, September 10, 2023

Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid

 


Title:  Carrie Soto is Back

Author:  Taylor Jenkins Reid

Narrated by:  Stacy Gonzalez, et. Al.

Publisher: Random House Audio

Length: Approximately 10 hours and 30 minutes

Source: Checked out with Libby through the Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

 Are you a tennis fan?  If so, who is your favorite player?  Growing up, my friend Erin was a tennis player and I feel that all I know about the world of tennis is from her.  I also think it’s cool that Erin pursued tennis in college and is now a college tennis coach. 

 Carrie Soto is back is the story of a fictional famous tennis player, Carrie Soto.  Her career was in the 1970’s and 1980’s and she retired after winning twenty slam titles and turning thirty.  Now that she is 37, her record is smashed by Nicki Chan.  She decides to come out of retirement to try to win back her record again.  With the help of an old love, Bowe Huntley and her coach father, will she be able to meet this new challenge?

 Carrie Soto felt like a conglomerate of many famous tennis players from back in the day, but I also felt flashes of Serena Williams as well.  Luckily, you don’t have to be an expert on tennis to follow along on Carrie Soto’s journey.

 Carrie Soto is Back was the July pick for the Page-turners Book Club at the Kewaunee Public Library.  I sadly had to miss the meeting due to work commitments, but it worked out as I wasn’t able to get a copy of the audiobook through the library until after the meeting.  I ended up listening to Carrie Soto is back in August and it kept me very intrigued through many drives for work.

 Carrie Soto seemed like a cold person that grew up in the vacuum of tennis.  She seemed to have no personal relationships at all and to not be happy.  Her father gave her the love of tennis, but also made it so she didn’t have a normal childhood or teenage life.  For me, what I loved best about this novel was her growth and seeing her develop personal relationships by the end of the novel.  I also really wanted her to win and found her matches nail-biting.

 I also thought it was interesting that Carrie Soto was called a “battle ax” by the press and other worse things for being a woman who wanted to win.  This seemed very true to what I’ve seen female athletes face over the years.

 I loved how in this audiobook there are newsclips about Carrie Soto.  They are read by different narrators acting the parts and also have accompanying music.  It was very entertaining!! Stacy Gonzalez was a great narrator and was the voice of Carrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment