Saturday, September 9, 2023

Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie

 


Title:  Death Comes as the End

Author:  Agatha Christie

Narrated by:  Emilia Fox

Publisher: HarperAudio

Length: Approximately 7 hours and 11 minutes

Source: Checked out with Hoopla through the Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

Do you like it when a favorite author tries something new?  While I do find comfort in authors staying the same, I really like it when they explore new areas.  Death Come as the End was intriguing at Agatha Christie decided to set her mystery not during her contemporary times, but 4000 years in the past.

In Egypt, 2000 BC, Imhotep, the ka-priest, has brought home a new young concubine, Nofret.  His adult sons and wives are already restless and wanting to have more responsibility.  Nofret sows more seeds of doubt and malice, until one day she is found dead at the foot of a cliff.  Imhotep’s daughter, Renisenb thinks Nofret’s death is suspicious and starts to investigate the crime.  Who murdered Nofret and who will be the next victim?

Death Comes as the End was the August pick for #ReadChristie2023 and I enjoyed listening to the audiobook last month.  The prompt for August was “Fall from a Height.”  Emilia Fox was a great narrator.  I have listened to several books narrated by her and found that she is on my list of favorite narrators.  I enjoy how she acts out the part and has a different voice for each character.

As usual, I thought I had this one figured out, but Agatha Christie surprised me again at the end.  I did like the bit of a love story that was involved in this book as well.  I enjoyed the Author’s note at the beginning of the novel that explains the time and place of the story as well as her inspiration from ancient texts.  I enjoyed this brief foray into ancient Egypt.

1 comment:

  1. Until I read a couple of reviews this month I had no idea that Agatha Christie wrote a book set in Ancient Egypt

    Thanks for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge!

    ReplyDelete