Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Her Affections and Wishes by Heather Moll

 


Are you a fast reader or a slow reader?  I’ve realized as I’ve gotten older that I am a pretty fast reader.

Elizabeth Bennet has turned down Mr. Darcy’s proposal.  Darcy has regrets and has started to correct his behavior towards others.  Lady Catherine decides that Elizabeth should join a friend of Lady Catherine’s, Lady Metcalfe, and her daughter Julia at a house party at Woodcote Park to watch the Epsom horse races and to try to win a husband.  When Elizabeth arrives, she is surprised to find Mr. Darcy amongst the guests.  Will this time spent together spark their affections?

My thoughts on this novel:

·       This is a Pride and Prejudice variation.  The time frame is weeks after the Hunsford proposal.

·       It was a very romantic story between Elizabeth and Darcy.  It shows their feelings and passions started to build.  They had great chemistry!

·       As mysterious “accidents” start to happen around Elizabeth, who is trying to harm her and why?  I liked the mystery and bit of adventure in the last part of the book. 

·       I loved the house party and Regency games.  Some of the games seemed racy for the time and included kissing or touching people while blind folded.

·       The dialogue between Elizabeth and Darcy was top notch as well.  I liked Darcy’ second proposal.

·       Lady Metcalfe and Julia were both something else as Julia tries to snag Darcy as a husband.  It made me wonder, what would you do in Regency times if you were accidently caught up with vulgar people?

·       I loved the Epilogue set in the future.  It tied up the loose end and showed the couple happily married.

·       Moll writes Austen’s characters wonderfully and captures their original spirit.  I liked the addition of the new characters to the Austen world.

·       This is a forced proximity clean read.  There were kisses only, but affairs are discovered, and the characters talk in innuendo.

Overall, Her Affections and Wishes by Heather Moll was a delightful Regency romance and Pride and Prejudice variation.  I loved the romance, Regency games, and bit of adventure.

Book Source:  Review copy from Heather Moll as part of a book tour.  Thank-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment