Monday, September 28, 2026

Three Steps Behind by Dani Pettrey

 


Do you prefer series or standalone books?

Thank you to @authordanipettrey, @bethanyhousefiction, and @greatreadsbookpromo for the gift copy of Three Steps Behind.

Harper has returned from a humanitarian trip oversees in Syria where she was held captive and almost killed.  Many of her friends didn’t make it.  She has returned to the United States and protection from a private investigator, Deckard MacLeod.  She has only just arrived when she discovers that her friend Taylor has died.  Did her friend die naturally in her early 30’s?  Something doesn’t seem right and so Harper and Deckard start to investigate.  Will they find out what happened to Taylor?

My thoughts on this novel:

·       This book starts off with a bang.  The first chapter was exciting and terrifying and really pulled you into the story.

·       This is the third book in the Jeopardy Falls series.  I had a hard time getting into the story at first.  It seemed like character overload, and I wasn’t really sure what was going on.  If I had read the other book in series, I would have hit this story running.  It was an entertaining story once I got into it, so I think I need to go back and read the first couple of book.

·       This was a clean read with kisses only. There are some triggers such as kidnapping, childhood trauma, missing family, murder, etc.

·       I would classify this read as a romantic suspense thriller.  It was very action-packed.

·       I loved Deckard.  He is devoted to his siblings.  He really supported Harper through her trials and healing.

·       There was also a second romantic suspense storyline between Deckard’s estranged sister, Bristol, and Aubry.  It was entertaining as well.

·       The book ended on a cliffhanger that set up book 4.  I need to read the first two books in the series as I wait for book 4!

Overall, Three Steps Behind by Dani Pettrey was an action-packed romantic suspense story that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment