Title: The Love Hypothesis
Author: Ali Hazelwood
Narrated by: Callie Dalton, Teddy Hamilton
Publisher: Penguin
Audio
Length:
Approximately 11 hours and 51 minutes
Source: Checked out from Audible through Amazon Music.
Olive Smith is a PhD student who has a personal reason for researching early methods of detection for pancreatic cancer as her mother died of it when Olive was just a teen. She doesn’t have time for romance. When her best friend Anh falls for Jeremy, a guy she had been on a few casual dates with, she decides that she needs a fake relationship so that Anh can move happily forward with Jeremy. She kisses the first available man who happens to be Dr. Adam Carlson. While handsome, smart, and aloof, he is also known as a tyrant to the grad students. Adam agrees to the scheme in order to convince the higher ups that he is not going to leave Stanford. Will this fake relationship develop into something more?
My thoughts on
this novel:
· This was my pick for the September Rogue Book Club in anticipation of the new Prime movie. We were looking for a light, fun read and this fit the bill. Only three of us made it to book club this month, two out of three read it and loved it. It had interesting points to talk about for a book club discussion a well.
· I enjoyed the funny, witty banter. I laughed out loud more than once while listening to this audiobook. Great humor.
· I was annoyed when Olive didn’t tell Adam the whole truth at times and kept things to herself. Luckily, the truth all comes about on both sides by the end.
· I loved the science and academia setting. It was unique to the romance world. I was an engineering grad student once upon a time and could relate to many items in this book.
· This novel was very steamy towards the end of the novel with one very long spicy scene over two chapters.
· The side characters were great in this novel. I especially loved the romance between Malcom and Holden.
· This book could be classified as fake dating, sunshine versus grumpy, and contemporary romance.
· I loved their meet cute from years before when Adam inspired Olive. She couldn’t see him with eye issues with her expired contacts.
· I also loved that Adam supported Olive with feeling positive about herself and her research. Women are not represented well in STEM and there is an incident in this book that characterizes one reason why.
· I did feel kind of icky about the professor and grad student dating, even if it wasn’t his grad student. We had a professor that dated his own grad and undergrad students when I was in college, and it was very cringe. When is it okay for a professor to date a student at his/her college?
Overall, The Love
Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood is a fun, witty, and delightful contemporary
romance set in the academia and STEM world.
I laughed out loud and highly recommend it. It also has enough teeth to provide many discussion
points for a book club.

No comments:
Post a Comment