Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Laura's Top 14 Books of 2020


I read a lot of great books in 2020.  What can I say about 2020?  Although it has been one heck of a year and my socializing is definitely down, it has caused an uptick in my reading.  I noticed I read a lot more romance this year as I focused on comfort reads.  Did your reading habits change in 2020?

 I had so many books that I loved this year that it took me awhile to trim it down to a top 14 list.  I couldn't quite get it down to top 10.  These books are books I read and that stuck with me long after the last page was turned. 

These books were not necessarily books published in 2020, but they were books I read in 2020.  I did not include books that I was rereading, but only books that I’ve read for the first time. They are only in the order of when I read them through the year of 2020.  And now without further ado, my top fourteen books of 2020.  I’ve linked them all to my review of them if you’d like to learn more about them.

  1. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
  2. The Hunting Party and The Guest List by Lucy Foley
  3. The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner
  4. Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
  5. Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
  6. Becoming by Michelle Obama
  7. The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare
  8. The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
  9. The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue
  10. When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole
  11. The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel
  12. Clouds by Laura Sobiech
  13. Anxious People by Fredrik Bachman

Other books I loved this year, but didn’t quite make my top 14 included:

  1. To Tell You the Truth by Gilly MacMillian
  2. The Rescuer: One Firefighter’s Story of Courage, Darkness, and the Relentless Love that SavedHim by Jason Sautel with D.R. Jacobsen
  3. Olympic Pride, American Prejudice:  The Untold Story of 18 African Americans Who Defied Jim Crow and Adolph Hitler to Compete in the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Deborah Riley Draper and Travis Thrasher
  4. When Life Gives You Pears:  The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People by Jeannie Gaffigan
  5. Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson
  6. Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert
  7. Loathe at First Sight by Suzanne Park
  8. Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner
  9. No Judgements by Meg Cabot
  10. The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan
  11. If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlene

For more top books from the past, check out my lists from 2019, 2018, 2017 & 2016, 2015, 2014, 2010, 2009, 2008, and 2007.

What were your favorite books of 2020?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I love reading all of your reviews!

      Delete
  2. Love that you couldn't limit your top reads of 2020 to just 10. I couldn't either. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reading habits definitely changed this past year as well, particularly in what I was reading. It sounds like you had a great reading year over all, Laura. Several are books on my TBR pile.

    I really hope to get to Becoming this year. Kindred is one I have had on my TBR shelf forever. I really should read it. I am so glad to see The Book of Lost Names and Anxious People on your list. I really want to read those as well! I guess it's time I get busy reading!

    I hope you have a wonderful year in reading again this year, Laura.

    ReplyDelete